New York City has more than 400 high schools across all five boroughs, with 135 of those schools offering nearly 300 CTE programs of study as outlined in the areas of study noted below. Many schools offer a variety of CTE programs for students to choose from. Students who enroll in a CTE program at their school participate in coursework and skill building through industry vetted curricula integrated with career preparatory, work-based learning experiences. CTE students are offered the opportunity to obtain industry recognized credentials and certifications which can increase their eligibility for careers in their areas of study. CTE programs are also offered in high schools with specialized programs known as NYC P-TECH Grades 9-14 Early College and Career Schools where students pursue an additional two years of study and earn an Associates Degree upon graduation.
Below are the requirements students enrolled in NYC CTE programs must successfully complete to earn a technical endorsement on their diplomas:
- A minimum of 44 units of credit
- Five required Regents examination(s) or approved alternatives with passing grades
- A minimum of 7 CTE credits, including one credit in Career and Financial Management
- A three-part technical assessment (written, demonstration, and project components)
- Work-based learning experiences as provided by the approved program (learning activities that take place in the workplace or in the school in collaboration with the community to provide a service or produce a product that meets industry standard)
- A work-skills employability profile (documents student attainment of technical knowledge, work-related skills, endorsements and licenses)
There are a wide variety of CTE programs that touch on nearly every industry. The specific industries are organized into 16 areas of study as noted below. You can explore the variety of CTE programs offered by NYC schools using our CTE Program Directory.
New York City offers CTE programs in 16 areas of study:
- Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
- Architecture and Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communication
- Business, Management & Administration
- Education and Training
- Government and Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law and Public Safety
- Manufacturing Production
- Marketing, Sales & Service
- Recording Arts Technology/Technician
- Scientific Research and Engineering
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
NYC P-TECH Grades 9-14 Early College and Career Schools
The NYC P-TECH Grades 9-14 Early College and Career Schools are public schools under the NYC Department of Education that offer an innovative six-year high school program to prepare students for college and careers competitive in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) industries.
Each one of the NYC P-TECH high schools is affiliated with a CUNY community college and offers students the opportunity to take courses toward an Associate degree, at no cost to the student. Each NYC P-TECH school also works with lead industry partners to support students in exploring careers and attaining skills needed to work in STEM industries. NYC P-TECH high schools are open to all New York City students. For questions, contact Raisa Schwanbeck at email@example.com.
Learn more about NYC P-TECH Grades 9–14 Early College and Career Schools